Healing properties of hawthorn
Hawthorn has long been widely used in traditional medicine. Find out what properties it has, and how to properly use it with health benefits.
Hawthorn is a shrub plant of the Pink family, which has dark green leaves with jagged edges and small light flowers. The fruits are berries of bright red color, gathering in clusters and having a rather pleasant sweetish taste. Hawthorn grows mainly in the floodplains of rivers, on the edges of deciduous forests. There are a huge number of varieties of plants, but the most common and often used for preventive and therapeutic purposes is blood-red hawthorn.
Features of the collection
Going for a plant is best in places remote from busy roads and factories. Flowers are harvested at the very end of autumn or in June; they are carefully picked and dried, preferably in the shade.
Berries should be collected in the fall, for example in September. But if the weather pleases in October, and there are no frosts yet, you can wait until this month: when the foliage begins to fall, the fruits will be fully opened, and they will be much more convenient to collect.Berries should be rinsed in running water and dried either in an oven heated to 70 degrees or in a dryer, stirring occasionally. Put the finished dry fruits in a cardboard box, a canvas bag or a paper bag and send them to a cool place where they can be stored for up to two or three years.
What is contained in the fruits?
Hawthorn berries contain a whole range of different substances, such as natural sugars (fructose), organic acids (citric, ursolic, tartaric, chlorogenic, oleanolic), quercetin, phytosterols, tannins, pectin, flavonoids, phenolic compounds, coumarins, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, copper, potassium, vitamins P, C, A, K.
What is useful hawthorn for the body? It has been widely used in folk medicine and has long been used by healers, healers and ordinary people.
Consider the main therapeutic properties:
- The fruits are very useful for the cardiovascular system, as they help strengthen the heart muscle and reduce the permeability and fragility of the vascular walls, help stabilize blood pressure, and also normalize the contractile activity of the myocardium.
- Hawthorn has a powerful antioxidant effect, and this means that it neutralizes the dangerous activity of free radicals, thereby ensuring the prevention of cancer and stopping the process of premature aging.
- Berries contain pectin, therefore they help to improve digestion and stimulate intestinal peristalsis, as well as remove toxins and slags from the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fruits improve the nutrition of brain tissue, normalize cerebral circulation and ensure the supply of oxygen to this most important human organ.
- The plant has anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects, which makes it advisable to use it for various infections and inflammations.
- It is worth noting a mild sedative effect, through which you can improve sleep, cope with stress and increased nervous irritability.
- Hawthorn strengthens the immune system and increases the resistance of the human body to attacks of bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Regular consumption of berries will help reduce blood sugar levels to normal, so the fruits are very useful for diabetics.
- A positive effect on the liver: hawthorn protects it from the damaging effects of toxins and contributes to the smooth functioning of the body.
- Fruits have a choleretic effect.
- The plant is useful for the kidneys, as it stimulates their activity and, thus, ensures the timely elimination of excess fluid from the body.
- There are antispasmodic and analgesic effects that help relieve headache, muscle, joint pain.
- Wound healing and astringent properties allow the use of hawthorn medications locally for wounds, abrasions, and burns, trophic ulcers.
- Berries have a positive effect on blood formation and increase the hemoglobin content in the blood, improving its composition.
When should you not apply?
Hawthorn does not belong to toxic plants, so there are few contraindications and side effects. You should not take plant-based products for hypotension or serious heart rhythm disorders, such as bradycardia. Fresh fruits are contraindicated in cases of exacerbations of ulcers and gastritis, as well as in colitis and enterocolitis, intestinal obstruction.It is undesirable to give fruits to young children, you should not eat them, and lactating and pregnant women.
The use of hawthorn berries can be done in different ways:
- For preventive purposes, tea is used. To prepare thirty berries, place in a thermos or another well-retaining heat container, pour a liter of boiling water, close and insist half an hour. Tea is ready, and if it is prepared in the morning, then you can drink it throughout the day for a glass after each meal. Also, the fruit can be added when brewing any green, herbal or black tea, it is also useful. The drink is good to drink with colds, insomnia.
- Make a decoction: put 50 grams of dried fruit in the pan, pour two cups of boiling water there and put the container on the fire. After boiling, the mixture simmered on low heat for twenty minutes, then insist for an hour, cool, strain and take one to three tablespoons three times or four times a day for cardiovascular diseases. Permissible external use in the form of applications, lotions and compresses.
- Tincture normalizes pressure, calms the nerves.To make it, five tablespoons of raw materials (it is desirable to pre-knead or grind it) pour two glasses of vodka or diluted with water in equal proportions of alcohol. Clean glass container with contents in a cool place and leave for seven to ten days. Then strain the product and take thirty drops three times a day after meals.
- Infusion will help improve digestion, get rid of edema, strengthen the immune system. Half a cup of berries pour 500 ml of boiled water, close the container and clean for an hour. Finish the drug and strain and drink a quarter or a third of the glass three times during the day, preferably after eating.
The benefits of hawthorn are invaluable. Try it on yourself and you!
How to find the girl of your dreams
We sew a denim baseball cap for a baby
Because you have paws: we sew cute fleece mittens
Biedermeier style bottle decoration
Device for welding a profile at any angle
Coffee table. Amazing reincarnation
Pregnant Diane Kruger first hit the paparazzi cameras